Home inspections are important. You do not want to land up with costly faults that you had not anticipated. Consult with family and friends for references. Interview inspectors to understand their qualifications.
- How long has the inspector been in business as a home inspection firm?
- Are they experienced in residential properties?
- What does the inspection include? (Visual inspections of exterior, structure, garage, plumbing, heating, cooling, electrical, interior, insulation and ventilation are standard. Extras include radon testing, pest infestation survey or inspection of septic systems or wells)
- Be sure the inspector will provide a written report?
- What is the cost? Inspections range from $200 to $1,000 depending on the size of the home
- How long will the inspection take? The time depends on the size and age of the home, the average is 2 to 3 hours. Many inspectors take a day to thoroughly inspect your home.
- Did the inspector ask you to attend? A good inspector will.
- Ask to see the inspector’s papers. When hiring a company, make certain that your home will be inspected by a registered professional.
- A inspector should be impartial. He should not offer to do any repairs or improvements.
- Do they belong to an association that will investigate a consumer complaint?
- Do they carry errors and omission insurance?